Are you interested in growing your career with Ireland’s only 4-star airline? We are looking for a Business Controller to join our growing Finance Department.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the overall management of this critical finance transactional function and will be a key member of the Aer Lingus Finance team based in Dublin.
The Business Controller will have experience in best in class vendor management and will have responsibility for a number of critical internal finance departmental functions as well as being responsible for several key internal and external relationships.
In addition to a comprehensive benefits package, we offer you the opportunity to grow your career with one of Ireland’s most iconic brands. Take a look below!
- Building a close working relationship with functional management with the objective of becoming a trusted and critical finance business partner.
- Ensuring consistent and timely inputs into the Reporting and Accounting team and events in the functional areas which may have a management or financial reporting dimension.
- Working with functional management and internal audit to identify measures to address areas where financial and other controls may be improved or which would lead to a strengthening of the overall control environment.
- Tracking delivery of cost reduction tasks and challenge the functional area to deliver reduced CASK.
- Providing support and contributing to all investment cases in the respective functional area.
- Understanding and explaining performance variances (both positive and negative).
- Coordinating monthly review process, budgeting and forecasting for the functional area.
- Ensuring monthly reportsbudgets and forecasts are prepared and delivered on time and provide required level of insight.
- Designing new monthly reports and/or update existing monthly reports to be used by functional management.
- Recommending appropriate metrics for performance measurement in the functional area as well as target values for these metrics both on an annual and five-year planning basis.
- Supporting setting of targets for functional area.
- Working with functional management to address queries raised by the IAG financial reporting and investor relations teams.
- Recommending appropriate metrics (financial and non-financial) for performance measurement in the functional areas as well as target values for these metrics on an annual and five-year planning basis.
- Developing a deep understanding of the functional areas’ business model and the links between the functional areas’ business drivers and financial performance.
- Working with functional management on identifying cost reduction and efficiency initiatives and quantifying their current year and projected five-year financial effect (including IAG synergies).
- Taking responsibility for monitoring progress on major cost reduction and efficiency initiatives and provide concise and timely updates on such initiatives to executive level if required.
- Working with functional management to identify new or alternative models of performing existing operations.
- Studying approaches applied by other airlines or industries to address commercial, operational and strategic challenges in the functional areas.
- Maintaining standing financial models for the functional areas and ensure that these models are updated as new initiatives and forward-looking commercial and operational information becomes available.
- Facilitating the integration of five-year projections for the functional areas into the overall Aer Lingus corporate finance year plan.
- Ensuring that the likely future financial impact of business cases and investment proposals is correctly reflected in business cases and the five-year plan.
- Taking responsibility for periodic in-year financial forecasting for the functional areas.
- Working closely with functional management to identify potential commercial / operational proposals that might be suitable to take forward in the form of business cases/investment proposals.
- Constructively challenge and review business cases from a financial perspective.
- Ensuring that business cases are completed on a timely basis, in line with Aer Lingus / IAG templates with sufficient time allowed for senior management and executive approval.
- Tracking multi-year realization of financial benefits as set out in business cases and investment proposals identifying any issues with non-delivery on a timely basis.
- Ensuring compliance with the Aer Lingus / IAG approval authorization matrix so that proposals are prepared with the appropriate level of approval in mind from the outset.
- Ensuring that the benefits and risks of the business case/investment proposal are correctly explained.
To be considered for the role of Business Controller candidates must meet the following criteria:
Your qualifications & key criteria
- Previous experience in senior financial role at a publicly listed company or comparatively large private company.
- Accustomed to operating in a complex, highly competitive and margin focused business environment.
- Ability to grasp the intricacies of airline business model/business drivers/processes by area.
- Accustomed to balancing the need to focus on short-term results while delivering on a long-term vision that requires sustained transformation.
- A qualified accountant or a solid grounding in accounting and financial principles.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with managing a large team of finance professionals
- Key competencies and skills required:
- Ability to lead large improvement initiatives and projects (issue identification, structuring, organization, follow up etc.).
- Keen analytical ability allowing meaningful review of facts and numbers and ability to couple this to solutions and actions.
- Working in partnership with non-financial management in addition to other functions.
- Demonstrate strategic and tactical capability to have an impact on the top and bottom line of the relevant business area, balancing short-term results with a sustained push towards turnaround of medium to long-term business performance.
- Demonstrate opportunism, entrepreneurial spirit and clear-eyed financial and commercial judgment in providing business decision support for the redefinition of the future strategy of the business units.
- Working in partnership with non-financial management in addition to other functions (IT, HR, Legal) to deliver the future direction of the business.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of software applications combined with general proficiency in IT systems.
- Proven ability to systematically analyze and apply internal management financial and non-financial data to generate new ideas, improve business performance and track results.
- Focused attitude to work, with the ability to constantly meet deadlines while ensuring excellent attention to detail & high levels of accuracy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, to include proven report writing & presentation skills.
- First class organizational skills and a willingness to apply direct effort to delve into detail.
- Highly commercial and acts as a business enabler for the relevant business area.
- Confident self-starter who is assertive and focused.
- Outstanding relationship builder with sound emotional intelligence and ability to work closely with non-financial management.
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity.
- “Can-do” approach and thirst for driving continuous improvement.
- Drive and determination to deliver outstanding results.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Eligible to live and work in the EU.
- Hold a current unrestricted worldwide passport.t
- Provide 3 verifiable references.
- Able to pass a strict airport security vetting procedure which includes a 5-year background check* or be in possession of a current airside pass for the airport this position is based in.
*If you are a non-Irish Citizen, you will need to be in possession of a current police disclosure certificate from your home country. If you have lived outside the Republic of Ireland for more than 6 months you will also be required to hold a current police disclosure certificate from that country/countries.
What we offer
- Competitive salary.
- Generous paid annual leave.
- Annual performance related bonus.
- Heavily discounted staff travel privileges with Aer Lingus and some select partner airlines.
- Prime location in Dublin Airport.
- Annual salary review.
- Employer pension contribution to a Defined Contribution Pension Scheme.
- Life assurance cover.
- Income protection cover.
- Paid sick leave.
- Paid maternity leave.
- Paid paternity leave.
- Employee assistance program.
- Cycle-to-Work scheme and Tax Saver Scheme.
- Subsidized staff canteen.
- Subsidized dry cleaners and various airport discounts.
- Learning & Development support through a catalog of courses.
- Opportunity to work in a team environment and to grow your career in Ireland’s only 4-star airline.
- Annual Make a Difference Day and team social events.